Instagram feed

+ 01145928421 SUPPORT@ELATED-THEMES.COM

Company History

C&C History

1937

In 1937, Magner acquired the rights to produce the Bulmers Cider brand in what later became the Republic of Ireland from H.P. Bulmer, who purchased a 50% share in the business. H.P. Bulmer, the first English cider-making company was founded in 1887 in Hereford, England. The founder was Henry Percival “Percy” Bulmer, who used apples from the orchard at his father’s rectory and an old stone press on the farm next door.

1946

After the war in 1946, H.P. Bulmer purchased the remaining 50% of the Bulmers business in the Republic of Ireland, changing the name to Bulmers Ltd Clonmel. H.P. Bulmer maintained international rights to the Bulmers trade mark, ensuring exports were distributed via the parent company rather than directly exported from Ireland.

 

1950

In 1950, E&J Burke was acquired by Guinness.

1960

In the early 1960s, Bulmers Ltd Clonmel was sold to a consortium consisting of Guinness, Allied Breweries (later Allied Domecq) and Showerings Ltd of Shepton Mallet in Somerset. Showerings later merged with Allied Breweries.

1965

In 1965, the company moved its main processing operations to a new complex at Annerville, five kilometres east of Clonmel, opened by then Taoiseach, Seán Lemass.

 

 

 

1968

In 1968, Allied Breweries and Guinness merged their Irish soft drinks and cider interests in Ireland and some other interests to form the C&C Group.

1974

By 1974, Cantrell & Cochrane had almost 60 percent of the Irish soft drinks market with production at a modern factory at Ballyfermot, Dublin.

1998

In 1998, Allied Domecq acquired the 49.6 percent stake of C&C it did not own from Guinness for £270 million.

1999

In 1999, Allied Domecq sold C&C to BC Partners for £580 million.

2004

C&C Group became a publicly listed company in 2004, changing its name to C&C Group plc.

2005

In 2005, C&C started selling Magners cider in Northern Ireland, followed by London, and the rest of Great Britain and continental Europe.

2007

C&C Group plc sold its non-alcoholic drinks business to Britvic in 2007.

2009

    In August 2009, C&C acquired the Tennent’s lager brand and Wellpark Brewery from AB InBev.

    2009

    In November 2009, C&C bought Gaymer Cider Company and with it a production facility in Somerset and a distribution warehouse in Bristol.

    2010

    In May 2010, C&C sold its Spirits & Liqueurs division to Scottish distillers William Grant & Sons for €300m.